Draft Waste Management Minimisation Plan 2016
Manawatu District Council is required under the Waste Minimisation Act (2008), to adopt a Waste Management Minimisation Plan (Plan) at least every six years for the purpose of enabling the effective and efficient management of waste (rubbish) within the district.
The plan outlines how we will manage and minimise waste throughout the District. We want to reduce the impact of waste on the environment as much as we can by providing effective, efficient services, encouragement and advice.
Council has seen the draft Plan and has approved it for public consultation. The draft Plan recommends the continuation of the present levels of service. A number of new initiatives are proposed which will further increase the volume of items recycled and will further reduce the volume of waste being either burnt or going to landfill.
Here are our headlines. We are proposing:
- Kerbside kitchen food waste collection – Feilding residential area
- Village kerbside recycling service using wheelie bins and crates
- Additional mobile recycling centres if above village kerbside initiative is not supported (Halcombe and Apiti only)
- Targeted education to facilitate greater levels of off-farm solid waste disposal and recycling of inorganic agricultural wastes
- Click here to download the Draft Waste Management Minimisation Plan (2.4MB pdf)
- Click here to download the Summary Statement of Proposal (530KB pdf)
How to have your say
Council invites Manawatu residents to show their support, or non-support of the listed proposed new initiatives and any other solid waste and recycling areas deemed to need further consideration.
We welcome your submission between now and 4pm Friday, 28 April 2017.
There are two ways to provide submissions depending on what suits you.
You can speak to the Council about your submission at the public hearings on Wednesday 10 May - Friday 12 May.
Final decisions will be published on the Council’s website after the final Plan is adopted on 14 June 2017.
We will also give presentations to the public
- Himatangi Beach: Wednesday 5 April - 7:30pm, Himatangi Beach Community Hall
- Kimbolton: Monday 10 April - 7:00pm, Kimbolton Hall
- Feilding: Wednesday 12 April - 4:30pm, Feilding Public Library
- Sanson: Thursday 13 April - 7:00pm, Sanson Club
- Tangimoana: Monday 17 April - 7:00pm, Tangimoana Hall
- Rongotea: Wednesday 19 April - 7:00pm, Te Kawau Memorial Recreation Centre